QUESTION: How do my students get a username and password?
You can register up to 36 accounts per class whether you have a Current PoW or Full PoW membership. (There is no limit for those with school or district accounts.)
To Create Accounts:
You may already have done this as part of your account set-up process. But if you did not, or if you need to add more students:
- Instead of using the directions listed below, view similar directions in this online Powerpoint presentation.
- Go to My PoW Work—linked in the left navigation bar once you're logged in.
- Locate "My Accounts" in the right column.
- Use the link Manage my purchase. This will allow you to do anything else you haven't finished from your account setup process—create classes, choose discussion groups, set up student accounts—up to the limit of your purchase. (If you think you should be able to create more student accounts and you don't see a button here to do that, contact us by email or phone: 800-235-7566.)
- Choose "Class: [your classes name]" Then choose a class in which to add students, and whether you're adding students with existing Math Forum accounts or not. (Students who have used the PoWs in your school before already have accounts.)
- If you choose Add Existing Students: At the top of the next page, you'll see a yellow privacy warning box, and below that you'll see how many student accounts you have remaining—there are 36 per class for most membership levels. Below that, you'll see a box with a list of students in your school who already have Math Forum accounts. Click the checkbox next to those you want to add to your class, and then click "Add students". If there are no students in your school with Math Forum accounts, this page will say so. You can also see a list of who's already in your class, through the link at the bottom reading "See which students are already in your class(es)."
- If you choose Create New Students: At the top of the next page, you'll see a yellow privacy warning box, and below that you'll see how many student accounts you have remaining—there are 36 per class for most membership levels. Below that, you'll see a box in which you can add multiple new students at once. The format is specified: use commas to separate the parts of the account. Please note the next two points as well:
- You'll choose a password for each new student. Keep track of what usernames and passwords you choose as you make them—you will be responsible for giving them to your students. Students will need their username and password to access the problems online and to submit their answers. Please remember that passwords are case sensitive: "CRIMPBUR" is not the same as "crimpbur". You can change students passwords via your My PoW Work page if you or your students forget them later.
- We encourage you not to list an email address for your students, for privacy reasons, and because they are so often mistyped. The Message Center should take care of all your emailing needs.
- If you want to be able to mentor your own students' replies in the Office later, there's one more step to take. From your My PoW Work page, in the left column under Mentoring My Students, there's a line that says "Manage automatic assignment of my students' work to me". You can choose to assess your own students on a class-wide basis or individually—just choose the corresponding link. If your students are not assigned to you, their work will be visible to you (through the "View Work" link in the "My Students' Work" box at the top right of the My PoW Work page), but you will not be able to use our software to respond to them unless you "grab" each thread individually. If they are being mentored through one of our free mentoring opportunities or by a paid mentor instead of by you, don't assign them to yourself. You will see your name in the column "Current Auto Assign Mentor" when they are assigned to you.
If you have questions, please contact us by email [any time]
or phone: 800-235-7566 [Mon - Fri, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Eastern].